Eleven years ago tomorrow, December 14th, my daddy took his own life, and my world changed forever. The hard and the hurt of life often happens near Christmas, sending a vivid reminder of our broken world.
And for those of us fragile from the hard and the hurt, we feel like Virginia O’Hanlon, who asked the editor of The New York Sun, “Is there a Santa Claus?” We, too, request an answer: “Some of my little friends say there is no Reason for the season except axial tilt. God says, “If you see it in the Son, it is so.” Please tell me the truth: is there a Reason?”
And the answer from the Son comes, “Your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see…Yes, there is a Reason, and He created the axial tilt. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Reason…Thank God! He lives and He lives forever. A thousand years from now…nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, He will continue to make glad the heart.”
He has shattered the yoke that burdens them and the rod of their oppressor…For unto us a Son – our Reason, Salvation, Hope, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace – was born.*
Yes, Virginia, you bet your britches there is a Reason. “And our Christ, He can be hoped in, believed in, trusted in; He came and is coming again and He cares…When hearts are fragile, that’s when they may be most faith-filled – believing in miracles before life makes sense. Believing in the miraculous coming – so there is real living in the moment now. Believing in a God bigger than the burdens….This is how the fragile are made strong.”*
My Thanksgiving List 12/13/12
601. Taking a day off of everything to play with my daughter
588. Snuggling under the tree
605. Jehovah Jireh providing wood for the winter
604. Head rubs from Peanut
607. Catching up with old friends and meeting new ones at a fun Christmas party
582. That Peanut doesn’t touch the Christmas tree or tear apart the presents underneath (but if she did I could find out what was in the small Louisa Graff Jewelers box!)
609. Eating, drinking, watching movies, and playing games with my husband and my mama
610. Winning those games!
621. Crawling into Shelby’s crib to cuddle with her when she’s just waking up
620. That my God has shattered the yoke that burdened me!
504 Two guitars…and hearing them both played at the same time!
Please tell me, what gifts have you unwrapped this week? Are you fragile from heartache this Christmas? God is bigger than the burdens, and this is how we are made strong!